Friday, May 15, 2009

Put Away What Drags You Down

As I was driving down a highway one time a while ago and I came upon a blockade in the road that was a result of a rockslide. Heavy equipment was busy removing the rubble, while the line of cars had no choice but to wait to get to their destinations on the other side. I was reminded of the work that has to be done in our hearts and minds to think and act in ways that please Christ who died in our place.

Something has to give way in the heart and mind of man to be thinkers and doers in the ways of God. And thinking as God instructed takes transformation from patterns we have from each of our sinful pasts.

Romans 12:1-2 puts it very clearly.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God---this is your spiritual act of worship. [2]Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is---his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Colossians 3:5-10 gets specific as to exacly what types of obsticles to our thinking that needs changing to please our Lord with our thoughts and ways.

" Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. [6]Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. [7]You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. [8]But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. [9]Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices [10]and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator."

The list above is a great heart checklist of attitudes and sins that prevent us from getting to the place where we see and think in the manner that pleases our Great God and Savior.

The word of God is the heavy equipment that God gives us to remove the rubble of sinful thinking that keeps us from the destination of a deep relationship with our Creator.
Obedience to God is the fuel that gives the power to move those same roadblocks.

Consider the following verses from Psalm 119.

Psalm 119:9,11
How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. [11]I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

I encourage you to invest some time with God to inventory your thoughts. Allow Him to speak to you about his way of thinking. The outcome of such time will be greater peace and joy when you see with clearer vision his blueprint of values for your thinking.

King David scripted Psalm 51 when he had committed the sin of adultry. You can see the desire of David to correct his thinking and God's desire for His truth to be in our heart of hearts.

Psalm 51:6-12
Surely you desire truth in the inner parts ; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. [7]Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. [8]Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. [9]Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. [10]Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. [11]Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. [12]Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.


May your week be filled with the work of upward thinking and may those you care about be blessed by it as well.

Peace to you and pass this on if you wish

Thankfully His,


Jeff Dyk

No comments:

Post a Comment