Sunday, August 30, 2009

Transitions and Roles


Today as I watched a local high school play the first game of the year it was the first time I was watching with all of our children having graduated from high school. In a way, I found myself wanting to hang onto those years of watching the kids friends hang out and "chill" with their "homies". I found myself asking questions about the new roles that come with this territory of nearly being "empty nesters".



Questions like :


What will my kids decide to do with their lives?


How will we adjust to our new role with our children ?


Do they really know how much they mean to us and how important their well being is ?


How do we adapt to our different roles we will play in their lives?


Can we really take more vacations ?


Should we buy a motor home to see the sights ?



With every significant transition in life comes a mixture of questions, uncertainty, hopes, and dreams. The scriptures are full of wisdom designed by our creator to help us navigate the milestones of life.

For the questions we face about the future I enjoy


(NIV) James 3:17

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace- loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.



We can always count on God's faithfulness to deliver the wisdom we need to take on the roles He moves us into ( and as sure as they come, they will change )

For the uncertainties, God has promised us


(NIV) Psalm 97:10-12

Let those who love the Lord hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked. [11] Light is shed upon the righteous and joy on the upright in heart. [12] Rejoice in the Lord, you who are righteous, and praise his holy name.


We have a faithful God who reigns over all and truly sees his people.

His promise to see us through our lives can be counted on. That means we can rejoice in each change the Lord brings about.


As for our hopes and dreams, we can know that God has made each of us uniquely and in his image. When we allow Him to work in our lives we can know He will fill us with the hopes and dreams he knows fits our design.


(NIV) Psalm 37:3-5 ,23-25

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. [4] Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. [5] Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this


[23] If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; [24] though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. [25] I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.


Verse 25 is especially cool. Translated to our upcoming transitions it would say something like this.


"Once a very long time ago, I was that kid "chillin with my homies" and I have seen many changes come about. High School Graduation, College, First Job, Marriage, children,Second Job, third job, etc. kids go from gradeschool to high school, fourth job, and now pre- AARP, yet I have never seen the God leave us out to dry, and I can count on him to do the same for my kids."


May God bless you in your transitions.

His Servant,


Jeff Dyk

President

Upstream Professionals, Inc.

281-750-9104

No comments:

Post a Comment