Sunday, April 19, 2009

Purpose in Adversity

Purpose in adversity

I first met Mike in the bank cafeteria where he and I frequently ate lunch. Mike was crippled with a body locked up by cereberal palsey. He could barely walk with a limp and had limited control of his speech. As I sat down and began to have lunch with Mike, I struggled to understand him. After several lunches with my new friend we began to be able to communicate well. As time unfolded our friendship, I would discover that Mike had gone through great pains to earn a B.S. of Computer Science at a State college in Kansas. Because of his disabilities, it was difficult to get a job or much less to be given a chance to even interview. For a couple of years, he would be placed in a capacity to build license plates with a position much less than his capacity. Then a break came with a large bank to get a key position as a programmer. Mike excelled and soon became one of their most valued employees. His boss once told me that Mike was critical to the programmers department and his determination to excel in his job was contageous to those around him. Mike always displayed a great deal of patience with those who would treat him as "challenged" and who did not take time to get to know the real person undeneath the wrapping God had given him.

One day I asked Mike how he dealt with his handicap and to this day have been inspired by his response.

"Jeff," he said, "God made me this way for a reason, and I just want to live out my life to honor his purpse in that."

Mike became known as "uncle Mike" to my children years later.

I have been challenged and encouraged by Mike's life and courage many times. I am encouraged to ask God to help me live with courage and excellance in any circumstance life may deliver. Like Mike, do we seek to honor God's purpose in our adversity? Can we trust that God is wise enough to sustain us in our condition ? Draw close to God in whatever adversity you face and allow his spirit to sustain you.

Thank you Mike for showing courage to trust and honor God in His purpose for your adversity. Your life has impacted mine for the better.

Courage comes in many forms. Courage can define History. Courage is strongest when adversity is highest. Courage has the long term outcome in mind and not the short term

Philippians2:13 "For it is God who worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure".

May God continue his work in you and may you be blessed richly by it. You are valuable to God!!

Peace to you and pass it on.


His servant,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment