Sunday, March 29, 2009

The kindness shown by the homeless man.

The kindness shown by the homeless man.

The night was cold and damp in Portland as I sat outside in my wheelchair (feet exposed) outside the Clackamus Barnes and Noble waiting for my ride. Quietly a bearded homeless man pushing his shopping cart full of rags and coats approached from my backside and placed his dirt stained hand on my shoulder and said with the kindest smile "Sir your feet look cold. Can I give you one of my blankets to warm them ?". He proceeded back to his cart before I could answer and began digging out a blanket. I thanked him and said my ride would be there soon. He nodded and smiled , then pulled out his umbrella and strolled off in the drizzly darkness his cart of rag gifts in tow.

I sat there dumbfounded. I honestly thought he would ask me for money or give me a story , but all he did was show me a kindness with what he had and then sauntered off with a satisfied grin on his grungy face , placing an umbrella over his head.

Not much else to say here, but I thought that I should share this story because so often the homeless are viewed as being in capable of helping others but for this moment in time this man with his basket filled with rags simply blessed me. Value displayed. Thank you Lord for showing me kindness in the most unexpected way.

Pass it on and pay it forward. :)

Jeff Dyk.

No comments:

Post a Comment