Sunday, March 29, 2009

My 50th Birthday and 50 things I think I have learned.

My 50th Birthday and 50 things I think I have learned.

1. Wisdom comes painfully sweet and about 2 days later than you want.

2. My dog's habit's are funny but the neighbor's dog is irritating.

3. Coffee has gotten a "latte" better over the years. From 10 cents a cup to 5 starbucks a cup. Now that is a "latte" .

4) I now know how the fish my Dad would brag about got so big and so many over the years.

5. I also understand why fishing is such an important part of any job. ( So now that I am 50 , I too have great tales of many big fish.)

6. If you enjoy what you do, and enjoy who God made you, you tend to have better days and so do those around you.

7. Gratitude becomes less circumstantial and more a decision the older you get.

8. The dreams pursued early are the fabric of what keeps your stride on point later. Choose your dreams well.

9. Kids are the greatest gift God could have given us and every stage they grow through an great adventure that reminds you of your own childhood.

10. Golfing was invented by a real comedian. And those who sell golf equipment are real geniuses. Those that buy golf stuff are delusional.

11. Tiger Woods has mastered the game. He is the cause of the great delusion of men that play the game.

12. Tiger Woods sells golf equipment. That makes him both a genius and a comedian. (and me delusional for playing the game)


13. I think I will skip over this one.

14. That the number 13 is not a cause to be supersticious. ( at least I don't think so )

15. A penny saved is a penny earned. And in today's stock market a penny can go a long way.

16. Skateboarding isn't such a healthy thing to do for fun with your kids.

17. If you mow grass for a living don't let your own lawn grow weeds.

18. A man can work too little and lose his pride, and a man can work too much and lose his way . A man can work just right and keep his joy. This I had to learn.

19. When you invest in another's well being over your own , yours generally improves equally. If not more. :)

20. I seem to remember the shots in basketball that I made more than the ones I missed. My brother Joe is still trying to catch up to me I am sure. :)

21. When you reach the age of 35 you begin to suspect that you haven't been selected in the pro draft and you should stay in the oil business.

22. A good friend is a great gift

23. I am fortunate to have grown up with parents who cared enough to discipline me,
24 loved enough to challenge me,
25. cheered enough to boost my confidence,
26 let me fail enough to understand the way of success.

27. Mostly parents who taught the value of a bible verse for every occasion.

28. The Bahamas are cool to visit but you should learn to read French before you go to the beech to relax.

29. When you buy workout equipment to get a body like Arnold , it usually becomes a place to eat goodies and watch sports on to get a body like Rush Limbsugh

30. That older age is when your preferred neighborhoods have a Walgeeen's instead of a walmart.

31 Puns are the highest form of comedy and are the true measure of intelligence. ( this one is for those who really know me)

32. Golf is now a waste of good fishing time. It's not only cheaper , but the growth potential of your stories is much greater.

33. That I am lucky to have my dad as the man I want to be most like.

34. Spreading the wealth is a good idea, but only if it involves hard work, less government, less taxes and a clear understanding that true wealth is not based in money But in the size of the individuals heart. Some of the Wealthiest people I know don't have much money.

35. Prayer really works because there is a God who promised to hear our prayers and answers each one.

36. The greatest leader in the history of man took time to pray.

37. I think elections bring out the most interesting traits among our countryman and I think the media is the biggest winner unless we all get out and vote our conscience and not the polls.

38. If" in God we trust " is at the center of our money, then our net worth is fixed for the long run regardless of the economy. If we keep it there.

39. A wife is a true blessing to share the adventures of life with.

40. If one takes their time and doesn't jump to conclusions, the the conclusions seem to have a far greater outcome.

41. When you are young veggies are the only thing you didn't want to eat and when you get to 50 they are the only thing you should eat.

42. You might be a true oilman if you go to Dairy Queen with the kids and order "Copenhagen" sprinkles on your icecream cone.

43. Gray hair is better than no hair. I am well on my way to both.

44. The most effective way to remember your annersary is to forget it once. :)

45. Cucumbers sell better at 2 for a mickle than they do 3 for a dime. ( my family will understand this dill ).

46. I admire my uncle Jesse who went through the Batan Death March and survived and thrived with his Life. As much as from any man I have learned to be patient in adversity and to choose attitudes that honor God. ( Prisoner of Hope by Jesse Miler is a must read if you want to be challenged by an autobiography of a humble man )

47. You can only be young once , so I have decided to keep it up until I am adding 50 more comments in 50 more years

48. My bucket list is next to my shovel list which is piled on top of honey do list which is stapled to my bills to pay list which is next to my things to fix list. When all is done, I am not sure I will have the time to write my memoirs while skydiving to fish in the Andes in South America.

49. My kids amaze me all the time when I watch them really care about other individuals. They carry the spirit of the Lord to the circles in which they travel and as a father I could ask for no greater wealth.

50. I know the impact that Jesus Christ has had on my life as I know he has many of you. The most important and productive decision I have ever made is to receive Jesus Christ as my Saviour and to spend much time in the Bible reading his promises to me and communicating his love and hope to others

I hope your first 50 years (or more) bring you the realization that through Christ's sacrifice all is forgiven and all is set new. The hope we have in Him springs eternal and 50 years is just the beginning.

Thanks for reading my list of 50 things

Peace to you.


Jeff Dyk




No comments:

Post a Comment